Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Grand Getaway - Scrapbooking at the Grand Hotel.

So last Friday I went on a little getaway with two friends from work. Not just any getaway a scrapbooking getaway. For those of you who don't scrapbook I'm sure this is already sounding so lame and boring, maybe you should skip reading this post. Anyway we arrived on the Island around 9:30, and made our way up the hill to the Grand Hotel.



We set up in the Theatre of the Grand Hotel, and that's pretty much where we spent the next three days. Well we did have a room to sleep in, and we left to get food, but that was about it. Besides scrapbooking, while we were there we also took a tour of the Hotel. It was really interesting we got to see the kitchen, and the Governors Suite, and lots of other behind the scenes things. The guy who gave the tour was pretty funny, and had lots of good stories to tell. I really like history, especially Michigan history, so I thought it was very interesting to learn that even during prohibition the Grand Hotel never had a day without alcohol, and they also had a super secret gambling room that you had to knock on a super secret door and know the password to get in. (I realize my true nerdiness is coming out in this blog). Since the tourism season has not started yet, the Island was pretty quiet and it was really nice to be there without 10,000 other people. Anyway I managed to get 72 pages scrapbooked, which is quite a lot.

This was not my first time staying at the grand hotel, but it was exactly how I remembered it. The decor is a bit gawdy, and the stairs, floors, and walls are a bit sloped, but I guess that is just character. It really is a fun place to stay, if you ever get the chance definitley take it.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I saw that last picture in your post and thought u accidentally scrap booked it the room OOPS ;)