Tuesday, December 30, 2008

30 on the 30th!

Yep, today’s the day the big 3-0. Do I feel old? Not really. Should I? I’m not sure. I remember when I thought 30 was old, but now that I am 30 and don’t feel old, 30 must not be old. So what is old? 30 years from now I’ll be 60, is 60 old? My Dad is 60 something, doesn’t seem that old. Is 70 old? 80? I don’t know. My grandparents are 83 & 84, still drive, still chop wood, and still crawl around on the floor with their great grandkids. They don’t seem old but when I think about it 80 something is pretty old! Anyway such an iconic birthday calls for some reflection, what have I done in the last 30 years? Compared to some people I know, I haven’t done much, I work with people who are in their early 30s and are attorneys, and have master degrees and have lived in lots of different places, makes my little life seem pretty uneventful. But Shannon assured me most of those people are probably nerds with no friends, heehee. I feel pretty good about my last 30 years, now I just need to figure out what to do with the next 30. Its amazing that the accomplishments that seemed so big at one time in my life now have been replaced by events that seem more important. Like graduating High School has been trumped by graduating college, my first job at Big Apple Bagels does not seem so awesome (it never really seemed that awesome actually) now that I work for a major corporation. Anyway when I think back on the past 30 years, I’ve had many more great experiences than bad, made some wonderful lifelong friends, and hopefully have at least 60 or so more years yet to come. After all age is only a number and life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. Hopefully you've enjoyed checking out how far I've come, and maybe had a few laughs at my expense. On one final note none of the past 30 years would have been possible if it were not for the hippy I mean happy family you see below :)




4 comments:

Sara T said...

Happy Birthday Erin! Have you listened to that Tim McGraw song..."My Next 30 Years?"....that is totally your song!

Katie said...

HAPPY 30th!!!! What a great blog!!!

Wife and Mama said...

Haven't done much?? Uneventful? Whatever! Let me just list some things. . .

1. You saw Orlando Bloom while you were in NYC!!


2. You've made connections like Doug K. . . .Who has 294 connections on linkedin.com


3. Not to mention, you married into Royalty!

AND

4. You have friends that own Cricut Machines!

IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Heather said...

You certainly can be proud of your first 30 years that's for sure! And you can also tell who Linden takes after with her looks. I hope that your iconic birthday was a fantastic one to celebrate.