Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Do You Facebook?

Up until yesterday I did not Facebook, had no interest in Facebook, did not care to even look at Facebook. A few weeks ago Matt created his own Facebook account, and became Facebook friends with all my real life friends, so of course when we saw them in real life they would talk about each other's Facebook pages, and laugh it up. So of course I felt left out, and of course there was only one thing I could do, create a facebook to reclaim my friends. So I created a Facebook, and I cannot tell you how stupid I think Facebook is! Some people refer to Facebook as the ultimate stalking website, and it sort of is, you can really find almost anyone on there. Then once you find your long lost relative, friend, co-worker whatever, you request them to be your facebook friend, at which point the person can accept, deny or ignore. Now here is my first dilemma and reason that Facebook is so dumb, you may see that Sally is friends with your friend Susie, and you've added Susie but not Sally, so then Sally requests to be your friend, but you don't really like Sally, but if you deny her friendship she will know you don't like her, or if you ignore her the next time you see her at I don't know lets say church, she might say "Hey I requested your friendship on Facebook and you haven't replied yet, whats the deal?" Then what? Are you going to say oh yeah I ignored your request (even if you really wanted to I'm sure you wouldn't say that). Matt's simple solution to this was to say oh I am not on facebook very often. Well that's just a stupid lie because people can totally tell when you've been active on facebook because it updates the entire country when you change things/post things/accept a Friend, etc. So my strategy with this is to just accept everyone as my friend. So if you Facebook request my friendship rest assured you will not be denied. My second reason that Facebook is so dumb is that you can send people things, for example I could send fake Facebook flowers to my friend Sara, and then it will post on her Facebook Sara has accepted flowers from Erin. You can also send Champagne, Crystal, Hugs, Kisses, and I am sure many other ignorant things. How retarded is that?! Thirdly people on Facebook feel the need to tell you the dumbest stuff like "Erin is drinking a Mt. Dew right now" or "Linden's Diaper needs Changed" WHO CARES!?! Now maybe I am just old and out of the loop of what is cool. Maybe Facebook is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I just don't get it. Someone once told me that Facebook is a more sophisticated MySpace, (needless to say I do not have a MySpace), but really I do not see where they came up with the idea that Facebook is somehow sophisticated. Anyway I would be lying if I did not at least include my one confession about Facebook in this blog, and that is this I did sort of feel pretty important today when I logged in and had 45 new friends. There I said it, now if you'll excuse me I have to check to see if anyone else has requested my friendship via Facebook.

3 comments:

christina said...

hahaha I love it.

Sara T said...

Is it because you are turning 30 that you are old, grumpy, and so out of touch with the latest online social trends? Good thing I am so young and have a couple of more years before I turn out like this! HA!

Banks Family said...

Hi!
I didn't know you got a facebook. I have had one for a while now.
I don't love facebook, like how it works, but I love facebook. I think you must be old and out of the loop, like you said, LOL!!!!
It really is WAY better than Myspace, I hated that and I had that for over 1 year before I moved over to facebook.
I think facebook is fun and I have found old high school and college classmate from all over the world, I love that!
And I have NO bones about ignoring or denying people's friends requests to me...and though I am not on facebook daily or anything, I deny request every time I log in. I don't care if people know I don't really like them. But I will say this...most often I deny them because I know they are someone I won't actually talk to on facebook, and I don't want to have friends, just to have a high friends number (though I hear some people think the higher the # of friends you have on facebook is a status symbol...whatever!) so if the people I ignore or dehy have a problem with that, oh well, I am sure they will survive.
Watch everyone who reads your blog will be scared to ask me to be a facebook friend now, Tee hee!!
Have a great day & welcome to facebook!
SMB