Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Do You Hear Strange Noises at Night?

There’s something you should know about me, pretty much all my life, I’ve talked and walked in my sleep. Now that I’m older, I’ve decided mostly I talk when I am under a lot of stress. I don’t usually walk in my sleep anymore, but in my younger days I was known to walk out to the garage and open the garage door, or go into my parents room and ask for a pair of underwear. These events never make much sense, nor do they seem to have any rhyme or reason to them.
Needless to say all this talking in my sleep slightly annoys Matt. Usually I say just enough to wake him up and he’s like what? And I’m like what? And then he’s annoyed.
I say all that to tell you this sometimes at night I hear weird noises and it is not the sound of my own voice. By weird noises I mean scary animal sounds outside, and bumps in the night. Usually I restrain myself from waking up Matt, because you know he’s already mad about the talking in my sleep thing, and he usually gets doubly annoyed when I wake him up and say “I just heard something” his typical answer is “well, go see what it is”. Not exactly my night in shining armor is he? Anyway about a month ago I heard the most scary noise ever right outside my window. And I mean freaky, deaky noise. But I did not wake up Matt. The next day I told him about it and I’m pretty sure he just thought I had dreamed the entire event. I should mention that it was around this same time I woke up standing over on his side of the bed, probably why he didn’t take me hearing a noise too seriously. Fast forward to last week, I’m outside with the neighbor kids, Lauren is 7 and Jack is 4.
Lauren: “Do you hear strange noises at night?”
Me: “YES!! I DO HEAR STRANGE NOISES AT NIGHT!”
(Feeling oh so excited that someone hears what I hear, granted it’s a 7 year old, but that’s okay.)
Lauren: “What do you think it is?”
Me: “I don’t know, maybe its coyote’s.”
(And then I realize I’m talking to a 7 year old, and I should probably pretend to be brave and also I should not mention I think the freaky deaky noise might be why their last cat is missing in action (RIP Salmon).)
Jack: “Can Coyote’s come in your house?”
Me: “Oh no, they can’t come in the house” (but I was thinking “can they?”)
Lauren: “What do Coyote’s looks like?”
Me: “Like scruffy dogs” (thinking “That travel in packs and chase people and eat them.”)
Lauren: “Oh cute”
Fast forward that night.
Lying in bed, this is what I hear (took this recording with our camera).


This time even Matt woke up. And he said “Open the window and look out” And I said “UMMM NO WAY!!” We’ve since decided (after some Google searching) that this is actually a pair of Barred Owls. If you ask me it’s still freaky, deaky.

3 comments:

christina said...

Ohh that is freaky. You need to set up a sting operation with a night vision camera to get pictures of them.

At least your husband doesn't wake you up to tell you that he could hear you snoring in the living room.

Or at least your husband doesn't dream he's Ultimate Fighting and sucker punch the night stand.

Matt, Erin and Linden said...

Well better to sucker punch the night stand than to sucker punch his wife :) Yes the first thing I said to Matt was We totally need deer cam like Troy's.

Wife and Mama said...

Ummmmm . . . That's what you get for being a TRADER. Go Creek!!!!