Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Kentucky! Dow High DECA trip!

Recently I chaperoned a DECA club trip to Kentucky with my friend Melissa. Melissa is one of the best teachers I know, truly someone who is there for the kids and puts in a lot of time outside of school thinking up ways to make her program and classes better. She's also a person who is super excited all the time (it might be the Mt. Dew she drinks), quite opposite of me (Mt. Dew apparently does not have the same effect on me), so we balance each other quite well. Anyway she's a lot of fun to be around, so when she asked if I was interested in chaperoning I didn't even have to think twice.




We took 8 students to the National Competition in Louisville. There were around 13,000 students at this competition, all the best of the best from their respective states. During the five days we were there, the students took a written exam and competed verbally as well. Two of Melissa's students made it to the finals, which was very exciting. Of course we didn't go all that way just to compete, we got to do a lot of fun stuff as well. We visited the Louisville Slugger Factory/Museum, took a riverboat cruise, went to a Kentucky River Bats game, visited Churchill Downs, went to a modern art museum, went to a Lady Antebellum concert and laughed, a lot!

This was a really fun group of kids, in the beginning they complained about having their picture taken by the end of the first day they realized they didn't really have a choice, and by the second day they were asking for me to take their picture. I ended up with 200 pictures. It's so much fun to have people to take pictures of while on vacation, Matt always gets super annoyed, super fast by my constant nagging for him to pose.

No comments: