Some people are born with them, some people develop them. After a 5 hour visit to the allergist earlier this week (yes I said 5 hours), I learned I’ve developed both. I’ve heard once you turn 30 it’s all downhill, maybe my body is just getting an early jump on falling apart.
Do you know how they test for allergies? The first clue that it’s not a real pleasant experience is that its called a “Scratch Test”, sounds about as great as it feels. First they bring in 60 little tubes of stuff (not sure what the stuff is) anyway you lay on your belly and they put 60 little drops of stuff on your back. Then they take something (not sure what ‘cause I couldn’t see) and scratch across each little drop on your back. Then you get what looks like 60 little mosquito bites. But if you’re allergic to one of the drops it will be a big mosquito bite. Now if you’re like me and you don’t really have much of a reaction to anything then they have to do a bit more testing. The next test involves needles (not 60 thank goodness). For this test they use your arm and about 15 needles so you get 15 shots and then wait for them to get big.
So what am I allergic to you ask? Ragweed, House Dust, Feathers, Mold, and Cats. Apparently being allergic to my dirty house, down comforter and cat isn’t as big of a deal as my “Moderate Persistent Asthma”. The Dr. was less than impressed with my lung capacity test results and her solution was a whole list of medicines. So if you see me with my inhalers don’t make fun of me.
Do you know how they test for allergies? The first clue that it’s not a real pleasant experience is that its called a “Scratch Test”, sounds about as great as it feels. First they bring in 60 little tubes of stuff (not sure what the stuff is) anyway you lay on your belly and they put 60 little drops of stuff on your back. Then they take something (not sure what ‘cause I couldn’t see) and scratch across each little drop on your back. Then you get what looks like 60 little mosquito bites. But if you’re allergic to one of the drops it will be a big mosquito bite. Now if you’re like me and you don’t really have much of a reaction to anything then they have to do a bit more testing. The next test involves needles (not 60 thank goodness). For this test they use your arm and about 15 needles so you get 15 shots and then wait for them to get big.

So what am I allergic to you ask? Ragweed, House Dust, Feathers, Mold, and Cats. Apparently being allergic to my dirty house, down comforter and cat isn’t as big of a deal as my “Moderate Persistent Asthma”. The Dr. was less than impressed with my lung capacity test results and her solution was a whole list of medicines. So if you see me with my inhalers don’t make fun of me.


1 comment:
I'm tellin' ya...you are always welcome to come puff the penguin at our house. I will probably end up getting a cleaning lady, since my domestic skills are probably going to kill my kid.
Post a Comment